Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dr. Stone, I feel ya

Dr. Randolph Stone was the founder of Polarity Therapy, a system which I practice and share with others from time to time. He was an osteopath at the turn of the century in America, and he had much interest in natural medicine as well. He was a member of the religious path Sant Mat, and he studied Ayurveda extensively in India. The culmination of his life's interests and work was development of Polarity Therapy.
Polarity is life, it is the breath of life moving through all things. In the case of dis-ease it is the breath of life not flowing. The system requires that one treat the patient, and oneself, holistically, in the original sense of the word. Nutrition and diet, exercise and meditation, counseling and practicality, safety and attentiveness, bodywork and touch. This is all Polarity. A massive system.
Dr. Stone intended it for doctors, to aid them in their practice and alleviate the need for drugs and surgery wherever possible. He wrote it for graduate level study and advertised it for years. He got only a handful of students. Teaching from his front room in Chicago to 4 or 5 doctors at a time, he wondered, why is this spectacular approach not taking off?
Then in the great opening of the early 1960s it did take off. And not with doctors. With seekers and a whole generation of new light healers. Someone arranged a workshop at Esalen and there were over 100 people in attendance. Before he knew it he was teaching the whole system, in depth, in Hawaii and across California. And a generation of light healers went to work.
I am second generation. I live Polarity in my life. I treat clients. I treat myself.
Now that I am living this phase where I am working deep and making and seeing connections everywhere, I integrate. Dance, creative process, the science of movement, whirling, writing, energy tracing, love, light, it is all the same. And deep. And it makes me cry to glimpse the divine so often. And to share it is my joy. And not easy. Not in a commodified world that wants movie stars and chocolate bars. Well, I like chocolate bars too, but you get the point...
Tonight no one showed up for my deep stretch and choreography classes, and well, it is freezing and raining and dark at 4pm now, so maybe the movies or the bathtub is just more necessary. But Dr. Stone, I feel ya.
(Chocolate bars still gladly accepted) :-)

No comments: