Sunday, May 3, 2009

Side by Side

Spring continues to flower with Lilacs coming out this week and the first roses in some gardens. I am back in Cambridge, grateful for my time in Norway and for the opportunity to exchange with so many great young people from all over Europe. Shop talk, art talk, it is always good to be with a group who shares many of the same assumptions about ways of approaching life.
The highlight was a night of African dance where a circle of women just shared and shared and shared, drenched with sweat, risky moves, speaking beyond words, celebrating life and each other. I have so missed being in circles of women (buyahh NC peeps)! This was a treasure for my body and heart in Norway.
Also of great importance to me was Nidaros Cathedral. Situated on a slope above the river, enclosed by mountains and fjords, erected over thousands of years, this cathedral is the first one I have encountered that actually reached out and met me. There are powerful paintings and icons hung here, tombs of great masters, and secrets around every corner. On three separate occasions I was drawn in and deeply moved. I could have spent a solid week inside!
And now, my mother-in-law is visiting and we took the occasion to visit Bath. Having arrived in the late afternoon to find a choral concert on in the Abbey last night, we took the opportunity to listen to an amazing group of young people exquisitely resounding the likes of John Tavener, Eric Whitacer, and other great writers. Two of the songs had that opening effect..the room was hushed and still, as if holding our breath. The sound literally swirled around the high arches and through our bodies, and the light of the setting sun displayed webs of color for the eyes.
What wonders await the traveller....

No comments: