Friday, May 22, 2009

Hammam

Hammam is way of going to the sauna I have learned from a new Tunzinian friend. All over Eastern Europe, Scandanavia, and the Middle East sauna is a big deal. There are massive spas built, and people do it to keep themselves warm and healthy...when I go with the this small group of women it takes us 3 hours, and it is delightful! Firts scrub with oil removing soap, then the steam sauna, then exfoliate the body with special hand towels and a cold shower...jacuzzi and fresh air, then the dry sauna, cold shower, jacuzzi and fresh air, then if you are lucky, rest in a warm room in a dry towel and have fresh fruit, or put honey or salt all over your body (we can't do this part in England, the English do not use saunas in this way; in fact, we are quite strange to the other gym goers, who are treadmilling and racquetballing away)...then dry sauna, cold shower, and nice hot shower with regular soap and shampoo...lotions and potions away! "A woman looks best 2 hours after she does sauna" my friend says. She has been doing it since she was a little girl. We are meeting once a week, boy am I lucky! And finally, I am really connecting in feminine ways.

With my last essay in, and only the dissertation to write, being in my body is coming back in the most odd ways. Hammam, break dancing (yes, can you believe it!), swimming laps, and whirling. What strange and wonderful choreography may come out when I next enter the studio :)

Happy days...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to come sauna with you mama needs some good girl time. i think i will have to got to the hot springs and think of you.
love and miss you my sista,
Shaorn

Anonymous said...

see i can't even spell my name right i am so exhausted
Sharon

Unknown said...

So many great days at Avila! I was laughing yesterday at grilled cheese with tomato sandwiches and tie dye buckets and turquoise inlays. And I think we should meet at a hot spring soon, like maybe this fall! Love you dearly sistah...