Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mothers Milk

Snow...Coffee shops...Cookies...Candles and Incense. As I sit here in Starbucks on this snowy day I watch people, and percieve the distinctness of our social groupings. A blonde Spanish woman sits across from me: direct, small, wild, in touch with her body. An entire group of Spanish kids is here, 20-30 of them, and they keep changing seats between them, some going out for a smoke and then others and then others. They are like Americans: easy to interact with, ready smiles, gestures that sweep across space..they remind me of home. And they are European, Spanish to their core: direct, sensual, bodily present, and I like them. I think about my study of culture/anthropology and also of how mannerism is learned. I don't know that it is place specific at all, it is too human for that. Mannerism and perception, these are definitely learned behaviour, ways of being passed down from physicality to physicality. We don't teach it outright, we simply live it, and through exchange of all those small patterns to life, we teach. Does it really take revolution to break these up? Would we go on the same ways forever if we didn't shake up our familial foundations from time to time? Maybe we go on in the same ways forever anyway! Consciousness around behaviour, awareness through movement, body talk, etc..even these methods do not have the power to change an affection for certain mannerisms, certain displays of feeling, certain ways of perception. These things are carried deep within a person. As our mother is embedded in our DNA, we are also embedded in our mothers physicality... our mother language, our mother earth, our mummy dearest :)
Love to all,

No comments: