Yesterday we visited the nearby town of Ely, rather gothic and quirky with a towering cathedral at its center. There is a lovely river walk and daffodils were dancing all over the park. As we spent some timeless time there I was reminded of the very first mission statement for Open Air Dance: To create beauty. And that we did, two hours of glory in 'Stacking Turtles'. However, as I applied for bigger and better grant funding I was confronted with the questions of beauty by what standards, in whose eyes, perceived by who, gendered or ungendered, etc. etc. Well, I did what was appropriate, creating outreach and childrens classes focused on literacy and human movement processes, letting my notions of beauty for beautys sake go, creating several more seasons of work with a more tangible and verbally conducive foci. Now that I am in graduate school and learning the theory behind all those questions, I just have to let go into myself that always held truth, and appreciate the transcendence of beauty that is. The memory of salt in the river wind, the cadence of a seagulls wings in harmony with its flock, shiny first star of evening, laughter in my childrens mouths, smiles in the eyes of strangers, golden light upon my face, and in the breast of my heart, flowers unfolding. Ahhh, that's better.
In the words of my dear friend L., "Let the beauty we love be what we do!" and "Have a magical, wonderful, uplifting day"...
No comments:
Post a Comment