Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gardens

Hello Dear Sisters and Brothers...
It has been three weeks now and we are beginning to feel a little settled. Much happiness for all of your encouraging emails! The children have been outfitted with bikes (Kevin and I are borrowing bikes until ours arrive from the states) and they are real champs, biking up to 4 miles a day around town. I understand how to order my groceries online and have them delivered to my house. We have enough furniture and dishes to manage for the first few months, and on Monday we meet the childrens teachers. Some peace can come into our lives now. Taking advantage of the space for this, I weeded the overgrown garden behind the house and found some beautiful treasures.
*There are red currant and gooseberry bushes ripe for the picking.* Some plantain has made a robust patch as has some lemon balm. There is a pink rosebush that was obscured by vines, and today a rose has blossomed for us. I rescued several wild pansies and put them together by the front door. In addition, our lovely neighbor divided her fuschia and I planted it at the back of the deck. We will put some daffodil bulbs and sweet pea seeds in over the weekend, and they will bloom in yellows and purples for us this spring...

I am reminded of how tough and prickly creating a space for growth can be, of how heartwarming it is to see the first bloosoms of that work, of how much hope the effort builds. This garden can be a great resource for me over these two years, as I dig, plant, weed, and re-arrange to create a space of beauty both within the land and within my heart.
Thanks for sharing my journey.

No comments: