Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dreams

Tomorrow I begin my first day teaching at The University of East London!  I have been hired as a guest lecturer in anatomy and nutrition, teaching undergraduate dance majors.  I have also been offered a place doing my PhD.  I will continue studying whirling dervishes, moving away from anthropology, toward narrative and practice based research.  My practice is my research, and I am reading and writing about how to tell stories.  I am free to create art as well as written work, and the whole world feels open for integration.  It is my hope that something truly beautiful and useful will be the outcome, and that this wild growth will continue in the process.  
Who would have thought that I'd move to England to become a semazen (Turkish word for turning dervish)...  Five weeks into the formal training now, I have too much to say..... sensitive souls become more sensitive, worlds upon worlds open up in the inner landscape, and oh my god it feels good to be back in my body!!!  I am training at the gym to keep up my flexibility and stamina, teaching body conditioning one night a week in Cambridge, and attending my turning classes.  It was too long without a physical practice.  The MA, while necessary as a step into new thresholds, demanded the sacrifice of my embodiment, and I am happy now to claim that sacrifice back.
A tiger metal year ahead, white hot smelting and growth.  Roar!

No comments: