Monday, March 23, 2009

Universal Health

Universal Health Care is something really really important. As a mother of three who has sometimes used the medicare system, I know firsthand what it is like to be shoved into an overstuffed clinic to see a doctor who has never seen me before and will never see me again...episodic treatment for chronic conditions. In England, Universal Health care is something they are both proud of and deeply burdened with. No matter how crowded any U.S. clinic may be, England can beat it on any day of the week, they are just extremely overpopulated given the land mass. And really, most of the world lives this way... I think, though, that we can learn from them and improve on the system for ourselves as Americans. Here are the pros and cons of our experience thus far.
Issues: 5 minute sick appointments! Doctors don't know enough about you to treat you individually. The elderly really take the hit, becoming disabled and invalid too easily, because all treatments cannot be exhausted for every single person. The people do not take charge of their own care, but run to the doctor at every ache....because the waiting list to see a specialist is often 3 or more months.
Benefits: One can ask for what they need and be sure that they will get it in due time, ie vasectomies, tonsils out, breast and prostrate cancer screening, pap smears, contraception... One never needs to go without medicine that could be helpful, as it always given and always for free. Once one does have a chronic condition, they are seen by the same specialist every 3-4 months and evaluated.
Now, we had an awful experience when we got here because the kids both developed ear infections that I could not treat, and antibiotics are not given for ear infections here in an effort to help the human race in the long run. I just made a trip to the doctor every day and demanded that they were not improving, and eventually we got them, but not before Auroras ear drum burst.
Since we know the system now, we are just more vigilant. I demanded Mathias see a specialist for his chronic breathing and he is now under good consistent care. Aurora recently had 4 x-rays to rule out a possible ankle fracture, at no co-pay or deductible to us, and without a referral.
The answers for how to do this the best way for a country as large as America are not easily come by. I encourage you to think about, and send your thoughts to our president, because he as asked for them, and real stories make a real difference.
Peace,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, today I was told that it will be cheaper for me to get my last wisdom tooth extracted as opposed to getting a root canal. The health care coverage will pay for me to have it extracted, if I wait for the specialist appointment, 2-3 months from now, and just manage to keep out of pain with continuous pain relievers and antibiotics. I think I will opt to pay for extraction myself, which I can get from a private dentist on Monday. A private root canal is way out of the question financially! And what if I could not come up with the 85 pounds I will need? My option is to wait... There are no optimal situations, but universal coverage must, in my opinion, cover several options in a timely manner and also cover preventive care (teeth cleaning is actually never covered under any circumstances)! Enculturation is not just about new foods and phrases....