This path of studying the whirling dervishes is leading me to a soft, open heart and a new body, a new dance. In seeking out information for my thesis I am lead into the richness of Sufi experience, into the excitement of the Sufi community in London, into a place where all my skills must flip their polarity and come out with new sweetness. It is an open path, the Sufi path, and many say that it pre-dates religion; one does not necessarily need to be Moslem, and they are welcome to situate themselves in the realm of truth most real for them. While the whirling is the center of my study, many sufis chant, dance, play drums and flutes, recite poetry and engage in a wide variety of creative processes. It is lovely for me to be a part of, and I am letting go of the dancer I was so that the dance can come shining to me, from the inside.
In contrast to some of my colleagues, who are not so much transformed by the work they study as interested in it, I remember that I made a huge point in my entry essay (for this degree program) that I desire to lead an integrated life. For me, that means work, play, spirit, and family all interweave and connect. It is really the only way to bring the sage off the mountaintop and put her in the central place in both her own life and her family's.
In Love,
No comments:
Post a Comment