Saturday, April 24, 2010

To Be an Artist

Cycles go round and round, and in this new cycle the self as artist is returning.  
Ladies in Cambridge and in London are dancing with me, and we are producing a show around the theme of feminine circles.  The process continues, of finding and creating venues, designing costumes, rehearsing in the deep intuitive way that I like to rehearse, embodying this moment in time through the creative act.  My old friend and teacher, Kista, is here to visit England, and she has given me a solo to perform.  A mature, witty, feminine solo.  A piece, a shared choreography, an evening, an impulse.
I never meant to be an artist.  I often think I would much rather lie around in the grass and garden, learn needlepoint, read novels and brew my own wine.  Alas, that is not my destiny.  It looks like I must create, talk about creating, write about creating, live my life in the studio and search out culture.  I long for the sun.  I work.  Such is life.  

And so, in the words of Utah Philips, I "Run to the wilderness, the one within."  I run with a bolt of fabric and the sound of drums and a circle of women waiting for me!

No comments: