Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Medium

So today when I was swimming laps I had the occasion to observe a striking and obvious metaphor for English sensibilities. This is the medium speed lane. There is a slow lane, a medium lane, and two fast lanes at the pool. When I showed up to swim there were two people in the slow lane, one in a fast lane, one fast lane completely open, and eight stuffed into the medium lane! While I do not consider myself a fast swimmer, not being at the competitive level, I certainly made use of the empty fast lane. That is the American in me, an opportunist, or maybe I just like having leg room. In any case, these people just don't have the desire to differentiate like I do; they are happy being sardines together, where they all play by the rules. It's called being sensible :) ..

1 comment:

Leslie said...

That is very funny. Speed is sort of relative anyway. Hope you enjoyed your swim, Fast Hannah! ;-)