Sunday, April 5, 2009

Muted Blue

Today I reflect on the blue of the voice, the throat chakra, the human condition of feeling caged up, of needing initiation, of lacking appropriate channels for vocalizing change and creating healthy growth. I am thinking of my teenager and of the G20 protests in London. I am thinking of the recent Shout Out against rape and violence in North Carolina. I am thinking of the teenagers at Montebello High School in California, who hung the Mexican flag on the school pole with the American flag below it, upside down. I am thinking of Maya Angelou. They all want/need/desire desperately to have a voice, to be noticed, to be heard. They want the bird of the heart to fly free from its cage, to accept injustice in the world and still find beauty. They don't know how to get that freedom, how to articulate their need.

Everybody wants to blame, to say that protests don't work, to hide the lower classes on the edges of our towns, to say that she deserved it because she dresses a certain way. Well it's about time we just stopped and listened! All the human needs is safety and a listening ear to shift. And initiation, our teenage boys and our teenage girls deserve to have a safe pathway into adulthood. Our immigrants deserve to have a formal voice in their longings and their destinies. Our earths stewards deserve to be taken into the summit and given a proper forum.

I may be dreamy and outer spacey at times, and it because I have fought hard to free the bird within my breast. Injustice does not disappear, it is the weed within the flower arrangement, and it needs a continual voice. That voice gives way to a song eventually. And then and only then does harmony become remotely possible. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it is inconvenient. Yes, we must say yes, and quietly listen to those dissonant moans. They are the bird song.

No comments: