Happy Happy Easter! There are masses of daffodils, daisys, carnations, tulips, and mums in the gardens about town, and in vases in my little home. Chocolate eggs the size of a small cat are the thing to gather for the big day here, and there are lovely designs on some of them. I personally went for an organic Green and Black one, so I know the choclate will be good to eat. Decorating boiled eggs does not seem to be a tradition here at all though. The eggs are brown, and we cycled to several supermarkets looking for white eggs, when we finally just bought duck eggs! I have never sen duck eggs before, and it feels a little weird to boil them...however, they are very white, and large, and make lovely canvases for decoration. With crayons and food dye and vinegar we made gorgeous shades of purples, greens, yellows, blues, and reds all underlayed with flowers, spider webs, dancing people, and the like. Our German colleagues have flown back to Germany, where they will have public bonfires and much feasting and drinking. Today, I get my family out to the sea, though it may rain on us, I need to hear the ocean and wash away my grief, to allow joy to come into the cracks of my relationship with Kaiah. More and more of late, I am happy that we are here, and okay with holding the contradictions that being here symbolises for me and my family. If winter solstice is the time of new birth, and spring equinox when we sit up, then I suppose right now we are all rocking back forth on our knees and learning to crawl. Many happy returns of the day!
3 comments:
My heart goes out to you Hannah, for your joys and your sorrows. The contrasts are what make our lives so interesting.
Is Kaiah in Durham? I thought I saw him at HT yesterday?
Hello Lilan,
Kaiah is in St. Louis. And yes, the contrast is the play which creates life. Now it comes into focus that this is the point of my grief in all of this move, leaving my child behind. And yet, it was his desire and his choice; and perhaps his rebellion will not harm him in the long run, but serve to bring him into manhood in relationship to his father. Still, everyday I light a candle for him. Thank you for keeping us in your heart dear sister!
And I am not anonymous, I simply posted without signing in. :)
Post a Comment