Wednesday, December 17, 2008

First Term Paper

With this first foray into being judged in the academic world again I learned a few lessons I didn't expect. I wrote a beautiful paper, and had to re-write it in a more direct and less beautiful way. I had to answer the assignment question instead of using the assignment as a platform for things I wanted to say anyway, and this was a good but hard lesson about being in the world. Then, my body reacted so strongly that I became completely cramped up in my diaphragm every time I sat down to edit! I eventually gave myself a deadline two days earlier than the actual deadline, worked the best I could while resting my body as much as possible, and handed in a good but not great paper. My old soldier, the over-achiever, was put to rest. This I did not anticipate! And then, two beautiful voices emerged...the voice that really wants to write lovely poetic books about embodying energy and the voice that wants to question how we embody language, how we are what we say. This is a glorious outcome worth more than any grade; and I am so thankful for the oppression of convention that brought me to these new desires and helped me to name them. I realize that this whole darn thing about going back to school is all about adding another dimension to my allready multifaceted diamond self...and then I laugh, who needs to be so complicated anyway! We are all diamonds in the rough.
Much Much Love!

No comments: