Monday, September 22, 2008

Grantchester Meadows

Cambridge is a medieval city. It is composed of many winding streets that have no need for intersecting one another. There are many alleyways and footpaths snaking in and around the streets, and it is actually faster cycling because of this. The path we take to school is called snaky path and it is just wide enough for two people to pass. Outside the city are many smaller villages. Some have just two streets in the whole village and others have managed to get their own shops and centers around the main street with branches of residences coming off of it. Grantchester village is to the south of Cambridge and has two pubs, one tea house, a church, and a post office. What Grantchester is know for, however, is its meadows. The cam river winds through the large expanse of meadow, old trees dot the bank, and lovers and families grace the hillsides. We had a sunny weekend, and so everyone came out to the meadow. For three hours we basked in the sun, watched the punt boats go by, followed a wild swan down river, picked blackberries, and had a picnic. It was the most idyllic scene I have ever been a part of, and I am in love! Grantchester has been home to many celebrities including Vrigina Wolffe, AA Milne, and David Gilmour. The tea house is often visited by the rich and famous. And now I know why, it is a piece of heaven.
All my love,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a piece of heaven, isn't it? Even moreso to share it with you! I hope many people come to visit so we can share it with them.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah & fam,

So glad to get visuals of all of you!
You look so happy, content. it's great to hear that you are in love with where you are!!! it's nice to see Kevin's response--So live & full of commitment to you--it feels good to share in that for both of you.
I'm just returning from Ft. lauderdale for David's 20 yr high school reunion & i'm so glad to be home with my girl. David had to leave early for a week to teach in Philly, which gives us time alone.
~~Happy Equinox~~ I send a bountiful harvest of blessings to you for the changing season!

Anonymous said...

Hi hannah and family!
it's wonderful to hear of happy moments and to share in the simple treasures of life! I was outside Portland, OR last week attending the arvigo abdominal massage training. The days were sunny and warm with bees pollinating yellow flowers, while the evenings were cool and clear. Half-way thru the week, the full moon rose bright orange above a large fir tree in a wide meadow next to the retreat center. My highlight after lunch was a hike thru the woods and picking sun sweetened blackberries!

Unknown said...

Oh, thank you for sharing your treasures, your thoughts. I love love love it!