Wednesday, July 29, 2009

India

Deep red curries are my favorite, lots of chillies. On our street alone there are four curry houses within walking distance, two Indian grocers, an Asian grocer (the only place to find seaweed!), Algerian, Thai, Brazilian, French, Italian, and Chinese cuisine. Also there are several kebab shops and a truly authentic Italian grocer, with lots of baba and limoncello. Perhaps one of the most sensuous experiences living here is the color and texture of the international population.
Today the kids and I took out my big Indian cookbook (no particular region, it is made for Westerners), choose three recipes, walked to the grocer to get our spices and spent four hours cooking. Yummy delectable delightful delish~ Onion Seed Chicken, Coconut Laced Eggplant, Plain White Rice, and something like Indian style fry bread complete with saffron, almonds, raisins, and the like. You see, I am not sure if Britain changed India or India changed Britain more, they are really so enmeshed that I would not be surprised at all to find little daffodils in window boxes should I ever get to visit the subcontinent myself...

No comments: